bleak





It's been almost two weeks since my last post as I've found myself unable to leave my parents side for very long. The situation has worsened considerably since then. My mother's welfare has also come into greater concern as her stress levels get dangerously high worrying about Dad. Their care alone takes all of my time and it's difficult to search for solutions simultaneously.

I bide my time with books which have become an integral part of my own sanity maintenance. I can't focus on them for long but if even one passage or a few pages can help me step out of my own head for a bit, it's worth it. I've read several food writings. I've now read all of Ruth Reichl's books. She most recently was the editor of the now-defunct Gourmet magazine and was a New York Times food critic. She has chronicled her life so far in three tomes: Tender at the Bone, Comfort me with Apples and Garlic and Sapphires. I'd recommend them all. They are as savory as the food she writes so lovingly about. I also read The United States of Arugula by David Kamp, which is a dishy and informative read on the backstory of the Food Revolution from Julia Child to the Food Network. I loved this one. I burned through it in no time. Finally, I read the most recent collection of American Food Writings edited by Molly O'Neill. From Thomas Jefferson's ice cream recipe to passages from Moby Dick and Thoreau's Walden to comedic contributions from Nora Ephron and David Sedaris. It's a terrific read. I look forward to starting Alice Water's biography that my friend Linda lent me.

I'll be staying with Kak once my sister arrives on the 9th and will be able to post more. I'll be treading water until then.

Comments

Popular Posts