Stinkin' Thinkin'

A new day dawns....

Now the real challenge begins. Here's why....I'm on my own and my typical thought process has come creepin' back in. So today's entry is about my self-defeating ways. I'm writing this to lay it all on the table. If I'm to accomplish becoming a good, self-confident cook, I'm gonna have to be honest about the challenges:

1) I won't belabor on about the movie, but one plot point that resonated with me is that Julie took on this project because she never finishes anything. I tend towards the same.

2) I defeat myself with negative thoughts. Already this morning, I'm overrun with doubts. I'm coming up with every reason not to do this. Just order out! Let Keith cook, I'll clean up! Blah....

3) I want to learn to cook everything. I just don't need to eat everything. I've fought my own weight issues for years. The family history is riddled with heart disease, diabetes and obesity.
I have tried to quit smoking on and off for 20 years.

So...blah blah blah. In essence, I'm my own worst enemy.
So let's talk positives...

I love food. That's not going to change. If I learn how to cook it, maybe I will improve my relationship with it. If I conquer my fear of cooking for others, I can try out some of the more fattening fare and send it off to co-workers and friends. Cooking can help me accomplish tasks from start to finish which should help alleviate work and personal stress. It will help me want to quit smoking, not just for health reasons but to open up all of the senses. I want to explore my family and friend's histories through food.

The true difference in this project and others is that I'm writing about it. The writing is helping the creativity flow and forcing me to be honest.

So enough with the confessional. The cards are on the table. Next post is back to the food!

Comments

  1. Greg, you are a ROCKSTAR for your honesty! The honesty in your writing is refreshing! Thank you for sharing and I can't wait to follow your adventures in the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts