Bookworms, Bruni and Blowing Eggs






Kaki sent me this extremely cool video featured on Tim Ferriss's blog. I can't wait to try the "peeling" without peeling. Click on the link above and check it out. Tim Ferriss is the author of the extraordinarily popular book, The Four-Hour Workweek.
Perfect way to segue into my second job....I also work at Barnes and Noble. I am a lifelong bookworm and have a great passion for the written word. I have had my nose firmly planted between the pages for as long as I can remember. All of my friends in grade school would bring some elaborate toy they had received for Show and Tell and I would bring a book. They would look bored or dubious when I started to present it but soon I would have them all enthralled. It was clear I was a future bookseller.
And indeed, in 2001 I joined the ranks of Barnes and Noble in Washington, DC where I lived at the time. I started as a Cafe Manager due to my Food and Beverage background. I began my training at the Georgetown store which was slammed busy open to close seven days a week. I was put through Starbucks barista training. This training was truly in depth at the time because we were taught on more traditional espresso machines and not the push-button wonders of today. We were taught proper tamping and how to pour the perfect cup of espresso. Despite my lack of fondness for coffee, I have always loved the aroma of freshly ground coffee and espresso beans. I quickly became an effective barista and could sling some lattes just like I used to sling drinks as a bartender. I was trained by the lovely Sherilyn and the witty Tim in the managing of our popular cafes. I had barely gotten through a few weeks of training when I found out the Georgetown store would be hosting First Lady Laura Bush, the White House Press Corp, and assorted Secret Service agents. Mrs. Bush would be reading for children with the world looking on. Wow, what an intro to the job!!
Eight years later, I am still employed with them and still look forward to the new releases every week. Lately, I've been focusing on cookbooks and food writing to read. My latest is Born Round by Frank Bruni. I loved the book. Bruni is a New York Times food critic who details his own twisted relationship with food. I can so relate. I highly recommend it.
I'll talk about B&N food offerings a little later...like the fact that it's time for pumpkin cheesecake..yes!!

Comments

Popular Posts