Roadfoodin' Back to KC

We are happy to be home, you betcha! It was a fine trip fraught with emotions, good and bad. My last post(which was written in a hotel room in Terre Haute, Indiana) highlighted the hometown grub and the memories they sparked with me. Now on to the food on the road...

Much of the time food on the road can be a serious adventure especially when it's late night from some travel mart truck stop. I danced around several aisles last night outside Indy looking for some disgustingly unsuitable late-night treat before settling on some dry Hershey cookies. I managed to escape some seriously terrifying apple fritters(cue the Texas Chainsaw music)..
For genuine suggestions on where to hit the best grubspots I would suggest trying out Michel and Jane Stern's Roadfood books. They have done them all and went on to write lovingly about the journey.

We did score earlier last night on the trip back with a stop at Brio at the Easton Town Centre in Columbus, OH. A beautifully appointed outdoor courtyard in perfect weather was the setting for some terrific Tuscan treats. We had yummy flatbread pizza and comforting BLT paninis. The highlight though was the Bruschetta sampler. Four delectable bruschettas featuring ingredients such as shrimp, fresh mozzarella, spicy beef and gorgonzola......every one was just...yum.

As you can see, I used some birthday money to purchase a Canon PowerShot today. I wish I'd had it in time to photograph that Brio Bruschetta just so I could salivate again. I will, however, be adding many more pics now.....guess I should've warned my friends that I would be waiting until their mouths were full and then..Gotcha!

Comments

Popular Posts