Brine That Bad Boy












Tonight, we put our beloved bird in a time-tested brine for the next 12+ hours. The brine is as follows:

1 cup salt
1 cup brown sugar
2 lemons quartered
2 oranges quartered
6 sprigs of thyme
4 sprigs of rosemary

This has made for a juicy and tender turkey for the past couple of years.

Thanksgiving memory #2:

About fourteen years ago, the extended family on my mother's side, the Rineharts, decided to host a family Thanksgiving celebration at the St. Marys Marina. At the time, I was working at the Levee House Cafe in Marietta. I found out one of my co-workers, Mikey S, didn't have anywhere to go for the holidays so I invited him to attend the family blowout with me. It seemed as if everyone was coming in, from Illinois to Florida and this hadn't happened in a long time.

On the day of the event, we arrived and I introduced Mikey to several family members as the amazing array of food was being set out. I hadn't seen many of these relatives in quite some time so I was catching up on kids, illnesses and gossip.

The day as with any family holiday(mine anyway)was not without drama. I introduced Mikey to my bipolar sister who at the moment had decided my parents and I were persona non grata and for some unknown reason wasn't speaking to us. She at least was cordial with Mike.

The big surprise turned out to be my cousin Jerry and his wife Marylou. Jerry at the time was a DEA agent working in Bogota, Columbia during the Pablo Escobar regime and Marylou worked at the Embassy. They hadn't planned on joining us due to his work. Two nights prior to the holiday, Jerry and Marylou had just finished hosting a party complete with mariachi band when they were awakened by agents, quickly moved from their home and smuggled into the belly of a C-130 transport plane and flown out of the country. After arriving at Andrews Air Force Base, they were eventually able to leave and come home to SM. Apparently, they narrowly escaped a hit on them that was about to take place. So, to everyone's surprise including theirs, they joined us for Thanksgiving.

The food was brilliant as it always was with the Rineharts and there were many hearty dishes and sumptious desserts. Aunt Bonnie's noodles took center stage as usual. The food is the best reminder of the love, laughter and personality the Rineharts always share no matter what dramas may occur.

After we left, Mikey seemed almost shell-shocked. He said,"You have a very.....interesting family."

Yes, I surely do...and the food is awesome, too!

Comments

  1. HAHAHA! If I didn't KNOW this story to be true I don't know that I would have believed it. Happy Thanksgiving best friend o'mine.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts