The Corner Store


On my Nostalgiaville post, I mentioned a store that I visited often as a child to purchase my treats. The man who ran that store, Doug Dale passed away last night. It is a passing that has hit my hometown community like a brick.

Doug ran a small, cozy store with wooden floors and three to four aisles on the corner of Cherry Street and Dewey Avenue. It was two blocks from my childhood home and the first place I was allowed to venture to on my own. The park was closer, but I think my parents felt my going to Doug's was safer. I think Mom knew Doug would keep an eye out for me. He kept an eye out on all of us. He stocked all of the best goodies, from Charleston Chews to Sprees to Wacky Packages. I think the place was actually called the Economy Market, but to most of us it was just Doug Dale's store. He always called me "Greggy". I would crack him up as I kept buying Pepsis in a vain effort to try to win a van called the "Denim Machine". I was 9. He didnt have the heart to tell me you had to be 18.

Not soon thereafter, as I was hitting my pre-teens, Doug and his wife Peg opened an ice-cream shop called the Dipper D. Wonderful hand-dipped ice cream cones and yummy burgers were my regular order. It became a regular hangout.

Over these years, I became good buddies with Doug's son Richie and his daughter Connie became one of my lifelong best friends. Their family has been a part of my history for many years. My heart goes out to all of them, particularly Connie, my kindred spirit.

Rest in peace, Doug. When we kids join you in the Hereafter, I'm sure you'll be looking out for us once again.

Comments

  1. Oh Greg, this is gonna be one long post. Thanks so much for mentioning Doug Dale. Of course it was the first place our parents would allow us to venture on our own even though the park was closer. I still recall a thrice a week request for me to "go to Doug Dale's and pick up a gallon of milk." When my Dad came back from overseas in the service and reunited with our family he sent me...the 8 yr old....to Doug Dale's to get him a six pack of Pabst Blue Ribbon. Obediently I marched the three blocks down the street and told Doug what I needed. He laughed and said "hold on Kristy" so I waited. He silently picked up the phone and called my house and reminded my father, who had been out of the states for several years, that he could not sell an 8 yr old beer. Dad wasn't even thinking. I was almost 4 when he had left the states. Doug patted me on the head and told me that he had talked to Dad and that I didn't need to get anything. He gave me some candy and I walked back home.

    Yes, the store's official name was The Economy Market. But to us it was known forever as Doug Dale's. It was the last of a dying breed. A local grocery of sorts located in the middle of a residential neighborhood. And for a town the size of St. Marys that's sayin' a LOT cause you KNOW we are SMALL. All of us kids were constantly sent to Doug Dale's to get a gallon of milk, loaf of bread or roll of toilet paper. He was always available on holidays for the last minute can of cranberry jello or chicken broth. He probably only had one can of each but if you got there first then it was yours. And then he opened the Dipper D. OMG were we excited or what. Hand Dipped ice cream, burgers, pizza, onion rings and fries. St. Marys had no fast food so the Dipper D ROCKED. My favorite? Chocolate Chip. And when Doug or Peg saw their "kids" comin' we always got an extra BIG dip of ice cream for our cone. It reminds me of the old Sesame Street song "Who are the People in Your Neighborhood". WE were the people in their neighborhood and they were most certainly ours...the whole Dale family...Doug, Peg, Richie, and Connie.

    Doug Dale is a treasure that is ours in our memeory now. I can still smell those old wood floors of the store that he used to oil. I can still hear our bare feet scrape over that dry wood as we ran in to get a gallon of milk, a loaf of bread and a wacky package or two. It was truly a special time and a very special place with very very special people. So let's raise a glass to the memories of Doug Dale. He will never be forgotten. P.S. Hey Doug, when I get "there" will you save me a few blue freezie pops, two chicko sticks and a Drumstick ice cream?" Thanks for the post and the memory Greg. Love you and see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He sounds like truly an amazing man. I am sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts