The Stew Doctor is In


The first tastes of the Italian Beef Stew were underwhelming to say the least. The word "bland" comes to mind. I created the stew in a slow cooker as directed and to the letter. Two ingredients I used but hadn't worked with prior to were fresh fennel and prosciutto ham. The recipe called for the entire fennel bulb chopped and boy could you taste it. It was seriously strong. The recipe just didn't work for us as prepared.

We really liked the ingredients, though, so we decided to rescue the stew. My old friend from college, Michelle Grimsley Tallman is a seasoned cook who tries recipes than deconstructs them to see what worked and what she can improve on. This is an ability I want to attain but I wonder if it's learned or if it comes naturally. We realized that the stew was overwhelmed by the fennel. It called for the entire bulb, chopped. So we doctored. Added veggies and corn and some garlic powder, oregano and Italian seasoning. Keith then said and I quote, "Now we'll let it fester a bit." I suspect he will not be hosting his own cooking show soon. We improved the stew immensely and were happy with it in the end. I'm not sharing the recipe as I didn't feel it was successful in it's original state. But when the doctorin' began.....it was fun to create goodness from disappointment. Not only did we rescue the dish but it keeps me motivated despite a bland setback.

I really dug bein' able to rescue a dish. No food waste is a good thing. All hail the Stew Doctor.

Comments

  1. Dear Confounded,

    You're doing fabulous! And that ability to deconstruct, reconstruct, etc. is definitely learned. Babies do not birth from the womb knowing how to combine flavors! The more you play in the kitchen, the more natural it all becomes. So just keep playing with your food! And soon enough your cooking talent will look as if you were born with it!

    Much love & many hugs,
    Michelle Grimsley Tallman

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts