Ch-Ch-Ch-Chia (Seeds).

 



Chia seeds.  Every time they are mentioned in something I read, I'm alternately fascinated by the continually updated health benefits connected to them and flummoxed by the image that keeps entering my pop-culture infected brain.  No, not the healthy seeds above, but this:


Yeah, it's the Chia Pet, complete with the Ch-Ch-Ch- Chia song in my head.  If I eat these healthy seeds, will an internal organ form into a Chia Pet?  Will my receding hairline grow back in green, leafy form?  Worse, will I turn into this....

...the Duck Dynasty version?

I think it's (relatively) safe to say that none of these things will happen.  In fact, we did indeed buy them and add them to our morning smoothie and here's the factoid that finally convinced us to do so.  Keith found that the protein powders we typically add mess with his system.  I found an article on Buzzfeed that suggested multiple ways you can add protein to your smoothie without resorting to the chemical powders.  Chia seeds were one of the leading sources and also contain more Omega-3 fatty acids than flax seeds.  Add in a good amount of antioxidant and fiber power and these seeds are tough to beat. 

Better yet, unlike flax seeds, chia seeds don't have to be crushed or ground.  Chris McDougall wrote about them in Born To Run, his book about a tribe of ultrarunners in Mexico who eat lots of them and add them to water to super-hydrate themselves for long runs.  We added a couple spoonfuls to our smoothies in place of protein powder as well as a spoonful of almond butter and now have an even more natural early boost to the day without sacrificing taste.
So, I think it's safe to say I won't have any unexpected sprouts anytime soon.  Now if I could just get that damn song out of my head...

Comments

Popular Posts